18 March, 2020

18 Months

18 Months. Yep, that's what reports are saying now.  18 Months and several waves of Coronavirus ahead.  We're just at the beginning of this outbreak, and it appears things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

When I started this year, I was looking forward to a trip to Japan in September & October, my brother's wedding in July, and a bunch of other things that I had planned or were actively thinking about.  Now I'm worried about whether or not I should set foot outside of the house, given that I have some pre-existing conditions that, while not major, could be a problem if I were to contract Covid-19.  I'm about 90% certain my Japan trip will be cancelled; I think its only a matter of time before I get the notice. Hopefully I'll be able to get my money back, but if things go as bad as some people are predicting theirs a decent chance that money will be gone.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm checking myself for symptoms just about every day.  I've had an ongoing cold all Winter, so waking up with a scratchy throat and a stuffed nose hasn't been unusual for me.  Hopefully those symptoms will go away, or at least won't get any worse.  Probably a good time to start an exercise regimen again, as I almost certainly could stand to lose 100 lbs.

So that's about it.  Nothing exciting happening, just trying to get through this.  In the coming days I'll probably post some reviews of things I've been reading and watching, just to pass the time.  At least I appear to be getting back into writing.  Must be all the nervous energy.

ADDENDUM

We're about to start hearing a whole lot about a Japanese flu drug called Avigan, which appears to drastically speed up the recovery of Corvid-19. It doesn't appear to be a cure for those who haven't contracted the disease, but it does appear to greatly help those with early to medium symptoms. If so, it will be a huge step forward in slowing down the spread of the disease.

No comments: